This is a great re-make of the original . It is an easy change to make it low in carbs and free of gluten, by replacing the flour. Also a good way to sneak in vegetables for kids , because it is basically lasagna without the pasta. Malfatti or gnudi is how they are known in Italy and it means badly formed or naked , because is like the pasta filling. It can also be served with a flavored butter with sage if you don't prefer it with marinara . I hope you can give this recipe a try and enjoy it with loved ones . P.S. since it makes so many you can freeze individual portions for later consumption ;)
vegetarian | kosher style | gluten free
2 CUPS CHOPPED SPINACH
16 OZ RICOTTA CHEESE
3/4 CUP ALMOND FLOUR
1/3 CUP GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
2 LARGE EGGS
1 TSP. XANTHAN GUM
1 TBLSP. GARLIC POWDER
1 TSP. PINK HIMALAYAN SALT
1/4 TSP. FRESHLY GRATED NUTMEG
1 TSP. GRATED GARLIC
1 TBLSP. GRASS FED BUTTER
1 CUP SHREDDED MOZARELLA
2 CUPS MARINARA SAUCE
1. CUT AND PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS .
2. IN A MEDIUM- LOW HEATED PAN; MELT BUTTER AND ADD THE CHOPPED SPINACH.
3. COOK FOR 1-2 MINUTES UNTIL WILTED, THEN ADD THE GRATED GARLIC AND COOK FOR 30 SECONDS, REMOVE FROM PAN AND PLACE IN A BOWL .
4. TO THE SPINACH BOWL ADD THE RICOTTA, NUTMEG, GARLIC POWDER, SALT, XANTHAN GUM AND EGGS. MIX UNTIL WELL COMBINED.
5. ADD 1/4 OF THE ALMOND FLOUR TO GIVE IN MORE CONSISTENCY . MIX UNTIL COMBINED.
6. INA SHALLOW DISH, PLACE THE REMAINING ALMOND FLOUR. TO USE AS COATING .
7. FOR THIS STEP YOU WILL NEED TWO TABLESPOONS TO MAKE THE QUENELLE SHAPE, WHICH IS BASICALLY AN OVAL SHAPE WITH THREE SIDES TO IT. WITH ONE OF THE SPOONS TAKE SOME OF THE CHEESE MIX AND WITH THE SECOND SPOON TAKE ALL THE MIXTURE FROM THE FIRST SPOON (IF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE JIJI...) BY SCRAPING IT . DO THIS TWO TIMES AND YOU WILL END WITH AN OVAL.
8. DROP THIS OVAL ON TOP OF THE ALMOND FLOUR AND GENTLY TOSS IT FROM SIDE TO SIDE UNTIL IT IS COATED, THEN SET ASIDE ON A PLATE. REPEAT UNTIL YOU FINISH THE CHEESE MIXTURE.
9. SET A PAN TO BOIL. WHEN IT IS SIMMERING ADD ABOUT A TEASPOON OF PINK SALT TO THE WATER.
10. GENTLY PLACE THE MALFATTI IN THE SIMMERING WATER IN BATCHES (ABOUT 5 ) TO NOT OVERCROWD THE PAN .
11. AT FIRST THEY WILL SINK DOWN AND WHEN READY THEY WILL FLOAT TO THE SURFACE. THIS WILL HAPPEN QUICKLY, IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS TO A MINUTE. REPEAT THE PROCESS UNTIL YOU COOK THEM ALL.
12. IN A BAKING DISH PLACE A LAYER OF THE MARINARA SAUCE, THEN PLACE THE COOKED MALFATTI, TOP WITH THE MOZARELLA AND PLACE IUNDER THE BROILER UNTIL THE CHEESE IS MELTED. SERVE AND ENJOY ;)