This is a quick version of this Arabic rice dish common in Iraq,Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, Jordan and Israel. now that the heat of summer has started it's natural to want to be less time in the kitchen and this version of the rice is perfect for that, because the rice cooker does most of the job and it just needs a green salad on the side to complete the meal . I hope you can enjoy making this dish for loved ones ;)
kosher style | vegan | gluten free
4 CUPS JASMINE RICE
4 1/2 CUPS MUSHROOM BROTH
15 OZ CAN LENTILS (DRAINED)
3/4 CUP DICED ONIONS
3/4 CUP SLICED ONIONS
1/2 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 TBLSP. CORNSTARCH
2 TSP. PINK HIMALAYAN SALT
1 TSP. CEYLON CINNAMON
1/2 TSP. NUTMEG
1/4 TSP. CARDAMON (GROUND/GREEN)
1 TSP. GROUND CUMIN
1. CUT AND PREPARE ALL INGREDIENTS.
2. PUT THE SLICED ONIONS IN A BOWL AND TOSS WITH THE CORNSTARCH, THEN SET ASIDE.
3. IN A MED-LOW PAN, PUT HALF OF THE OIL AND THE DICED ONION. COOK UNTIL CARAMELIZED FOR ABOUT FIVE MIN.
4. IN THE RICE COOKER , PUT THE ONIONS, SPICES, SALT, LENTILS, MUSHROOM BROTH AND RICE. GIVE IT A MIX.
5. PUT THE REMAINING OIL IN A MEDIUM LOW PAN AND CARAMELIZE UNTIL CRISPY. PLACE IN PAPER TOWELS TO DRAIN EXCESS OIL .
6. ONCE THE COOKER BEEPS AND THE RICE IS DONE , GIVE IT A MIX WITH A FORK. ONCE IT'S ON THE SERVING DISH OF CHOICE TOP IT WITH THE CARAMELIZED SLICED ONIONS.