Let me start by saying I love mixing cultures ;) , so here is a sort of crazy recipe , that only exist in my mind jiji..., but I promise you it tastes great!!. Whole wheat tortillas are very similar to Indian roti, so to me it was a natural substitute . If you have an indian market near you or if you are willing to make roti from scratch it is also good to use here. You can make a vegetarian or vegan variation really easily . They are great for brunch, breakfast or lunch. I am aware that you may not have all the spices available, but make them with the ones you have. You should also adjust the spiciness level to your liking . As for spices that you may wonder what they are: Amchoor powder is made from dried green mangos, it adds a pleasant sweet and sour flavor along with vitamin A,C,D, B6 and betacarotenes. The other spice you may have not heard of unless you are from India is Asafoetida powder that comes from the tap root of the ferula, a plant in the celery family that in flavor it is sort of oniony and fennel like tasting. Aside of providing the umami flavor to indian cuisine, it acts as a digestive aid. Since indian cooking uses many spices, this helps neutralize the acidity the food may cause. I hope you are willing to ry this recipe , because it is simply delicious :) : )
kosher style | vegetarian & vegan version
2 CUPS BOILED, CUBED POTATOES
1 1/4 CUPS DICED TOMATOES
4 LARGE EGGS
1 CUP DICED RED ONION
1/2 CUP DICED SWEET PEPPERS
1 CUP SHREDDED MOZARELLA CHEESE
3 TBLSP. CRUMBLED FETA CHEESE
1 TBLSP. BUTTER
1TSP. GRATED GINGER
1 TSP. GRATED GARLIC
1/2 TSP. CURRY POWDER
1/2 TSP PINK HIMALAYAN SALT
1/4 TSP. GARAM MASALA
1/4 TSP. AMCHOOR POWDER
1/4 TSP. ASAFOETIDA POWDER
1/4 TSP. RED CHILI POWDER
1/8 TSP. FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
LOW CARB TORTILLAS OR WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLAS
VEGAN SUBSTITUTIONS :
1/4 CUP JUST EGGS OR TOFU
1/4 CUP GRATED DAIYA "CHEDDAR CHEESE"
1 TBLSP. VIOLIFE " FETA CHEESE"
2 TBLSP. COCONUT OIL
NON- STICK COCONUT COOKING SPRAY
DIPPING SAUCE :
4 OZ SOUR CREAM
2 TBLSP. CHOPPED CILANTRO
1 WHOLE SQUEEZED LIME JUICE
FOR VEGAN OPTION JUST USE VEGAN SOUR CREAM .
1. CUT AND PREPARE YOUR INGREDIENTS.
2. PRE-HEAT A PAN TO MEDIUM HEAT. MELT BUTTER IN THE PAN PR THE COCONUT OIL IF MAKING IT VEGAN .
3. ADD THE ONIONS AND STRI-FRY FOR ONE MINUTE.
4. ADD THE PEPPERS AND STRI-FRY FOR ONE MINUTE.
5. ADD THE TOMATOES , THE GARLIC AND GINGER. MIX, THEN COVER AND LET IT COOK FOR THREE TO FOUR MINUTES.
6. ADD ALL THE SPICES AND SEASONINGS. MIX UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED.
7. ADD THE COOKED POTATOES AND MIX WELL.
8. ADD THE EGGS, MIX WELL AND LET COOK FOR THREE TO FOUR MINUTES. STIRRING FREQUENTLY. IF MAKING VEGAN ADD THE 1/4 CUP OF JUST EGGS OR THE TOFU .
9. TRANSFER TO A BOWL AND SET ASIDE.
10. TO THE TORTILLA OF YOUR CHOOSING, APPLY MOZZARELLA CHEESE TO HAFL OF IT, THEN ABOUT 3 TBLSP. OF THE POTATO EGG MIXTURE. THEN SPREAD WELL.
11. APPLY THE FETA CHEESE AND ANOTHER LAYER OF THE MOZZARELLA CHEESE.
12. FOLD IN HALF. REPEAT THE PROCESS AND KEEP SETTING THEM ASIDE.
13. FOR THE VEGAN OPTION : TO HALF OF THE TORTILLA APPLY THE "CHEDDAR CHEESE" , THE POTATO MIXTURE , THE "FETA" AND ANOTHER LAYER OF "CHEDDAR CHEESE". YOU COULD ALSO ADD "AMERICAN " VEGAN SLICES AND MAKE IT INTO A BREAKFAST BURRITO.
14. IN A MEDIUM HEAT PAN ; SPRAY WITH NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY AND PLACE TWO OF THE QUESADILLAS . SPRAY ON THE OTHER SIDE AS WELL.
15. LET IT BROWN FOR TWO TO THREE MINUTES, THEN FLIPP AND REPEAT THE PROCESS UNTIL YOU FINISH ALL THE QUESADILLAS.
16. SINCE IT MAKES 6-8 QUESADILLAS, YOU COULD LEAVE THEM PREPARED AND FREEZE THEM FOR BREAKFAST LATER IN THE WEEK .